- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup freshly ground hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup nutella
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans.
- Sift together the sugar, flour, freshly ground hazelnuts, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, briefly whisk together the sour cream and vanilla extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, vegetable oil, and milk until smooth.
- Add the sour cream mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and stir on low speed until just incorporated. (Batter is fairly thin.)
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3rds full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Whip butter and nutella together until creamy.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar.
- If needed, add milk to reach desired consistency.